The449Club Board Member “Contract”
The449Club want to be sure that each person on the board is clear on his/her responsibilities. This contract is not intended to be legally enforced, the contract outlines explicitly what is expected of individual board members, and how the 449club organization will in turn be responsible to the Board.
A key principal underlying this document is the board’s responsibility to hold the449club organization accountable to its constituencies and to the public. Just as important, the contract communicates core values about debate and disagreement, accountability, and board-staff relationships.
Board Member Contract:
I,______________________________, understand that as a member of the Board of Directors of The449Club, I have a legal and ethical responsibility to ensure that organization does the best work possible in pursuit of its goals. I believe in the purpose and the mission of The449Club, and I will act responsibly and prudently as its steward. As part of my responsibilities as a board member:
1. I will interpret the449club organization’s work and values to the community, represent the449club, and act as a spokesperson.
2. In turn, I will interpret our constituencies’ needs and values to the organization, speak out for their interests, and on their behalf, hold the449club organization accountable.
3. I will attend at least 75 percent of the board meetings, committee meetings, and special events.
4. I will actively participate in one or more fundraising activities.
5. I will excuse myself from discussions and votes when I have a conflict of interest.
6. I will stay informed about what’s happening in the organization. I will ask questions and request information. I will participate in and take responsibility for making decisions on issues, policies, and other matters. I will not stay silent if I have questions or concerns.
7. While a member of the449club board, I will make every effort to vote in every public election.
8. I will work in good faith with staff and other board members as partners toward achievement of our goals.
9. If I do not fulfill these commitments to the board and the449club organization, I will expect the board president to call me and discuss my responsibilities with me.
The449Club organization is responsible to the board members for:
In turn the449club organization will be responsible to me in the following ways:
1. I will be sent, without having to ask or request them, quarterly financial reports, and an update of organizational activities that allow me to meet the “prudent person” standard of the law. (The “prudent person rule,” applied in many legal settings in slightly different language, states that an individual must act with the same judgment and care as, in like circumstances, a prudent person would act.)
2. Opportunities will be offered to me to discuss with the Executive Director and the Board President the449club’s organization’s programs, goals, activities, and status; additionally, I can request such opportunities.
3. The449Clubb organization will help me perform my duties by keeping me informed about issues in the industry and field in which we are working and by offering me opportunities for professional development as a board member.
4. Board members and staff will respond in a straight forward fashion to questions that I feel are necessary to carry out my fiscal, legal, and moral responsibilities to the organization. Board members and staff will work with me in good faith towards our achievement of the organization and boards goals..
5. If the organization does not fulfill its obligations to me, I can call on the Board President and Executive Director to discuss the organization’s and responsibilities to me.
Signed by:_________________________________________, Board Member
And by:____________________________________________. Chairman-BOD